20141023

The Witness in the Sky is Faithful.

“REMEMBER , THAT JESUS CHRIST, 
THE SEED OF DAVID
WAS RAISED FROM THE DEAD, ACCORDING TO THE GOOD NEWS I PREACH.” (2 Timothy 2:7)

“Timothy, remember this living man, the king, our friend, Jesus.”  He’s the oldest living descendant of King David, which makes the throne his.  “Yeah, yeah, I know, King of kings and Lord of lords. I’ve got it, next...”  Well, Paul could have left this little bit out of the letter to the famous Timothy, yet it remains.  In fact, he sandwiched it between “Jesus Christ,” and, “was raised.”  I think he’s making an important point, but what?  “Remember, you that teach others, Jesus is the living King.”  He’s in charge.  He’s running things now. 
"Once I have sworn by My holiness; I will not lie to David. His descendants shall endure forever And his throne as the sun before Me. It shall be established forever like the moon, And the witness in the sky is faithful." (Psalms 132:35-37)
He’s faithful, that is, he judges righteously.  “Ooooh, hmm, I don’t know if I want a judge.  I liked it when you said friend.”  Who is the king, but the final and supreme judge?  If you don’t like the king’s decision, there is no higher authority to which you may appeal.  “Um, I don’t care much for the A-word either.”  Don’t forget that this is the Good News.  Our friend, the king, has power to give us justice! Maybe that’s exactly what we tend to shrink back from, with good reason.
“The times of ignorance God overlooked, but now he commands all people everywhere to repent, because he has fixed a day on which he will judge the world in righteousness by a man whom he has appointed; and of this he has given assurance to all by raising him from the dead.” (Acts 17:30-31)

We really want justice for ourselves, but definitely not justice for the ones we have wronged!  It's clear though that we can't separate his forgiveness for us, from his forgiveness of our enemies.  This is what has torn us to pieces, but we have hope.  The man he appointed is Jesus, who said,
 “Come unto me, all you who are weary and weighed down, and I will give you rest, Look to me for your strength and see me for who I am, because I don't despise the weak, I treasure them, and you will find rest for your souls.” (paraphrase of Matt. 11:28-29)  
         His judgment is mercy and forgiveness for our past, and gentle leading into the affections of God for our future.  Anything contrary to these he devours with a sword that comes out of his mouth.  He is a judge to be feared.  He laid down his life to demonstrate his resolve: for us to come to him, which is what we must do in order to receive him as our king and friend.   We come to him seeking relief in his good judgment, and he continues to call.

No comments: